Moonlight Micro-Farm was sprung from the passions of growing food and creating a resilient future. Proprietor, Chandra Hartman, is an avid gardener, composter, dirt-digger, seed saver, fermenter, permaculture designer, primalist, and general all-around DIYer. Supportive of her many ventures, her husband Eric can often be found helping with some of that dirt digging. He’s also quite handy in the photography department. Our youngest member of the family, Jordan, has left the nest to venture onward into the world of individuating. Tango and Lola, our two rescue cattle dogs, complete the brood.
WHAT’S IN A NAME
It’s quite simple really. Chandra wanted to be a part of the local farmer’s market and satisfy her itch to grow things, but had very little land. Knowledgeable of urban permaculture, she went about turning her small space into a mini growing area by focusing on the tiny and humble seed. Chandra means ‘moonlight’ in Sanskrit and so, Moonlight Micro-Farm was born.
We believe that tasty and healthy food should be accessible to everyone and that all beings have intrinsic value. We are committed to socially and therefore environmentally responsible practices, both in our home and out. We use no “cides”. We grow only organic sprout seeds and heirloom garden varieties. We value water and energy and are mindful of their use. We reduce our waste stream by consuming less, composting, and reusing. We value community and devote time to efforts that we feel strengthen our local community. We view non-monetary household reliance as a valid way of life, worth striving for, and defending. We are only human and work every day toward aligning our lives and livelihoods with our values.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Heirloom, Organic, & Open Pollinated (Non-GMO) Garden Seeds. Available at www.moonlightmicrofarm.com, the Seaside Farmers Market, and the Grand Lagoon Waterfront Market.
- Organic (Non-GMO) Sprouting Seed including sunflower, mung beans, and wheat berries
- Organic (Non-GMO) Sprouting Seed Mixes including Clover Field, Dill Salad, French Salad, Hotter’n Hot, Cabbage Head, and Broccoli
- Naturally grown (we use a soil mixture of peat moss, vermiculite, and mushroom compost or an inert substrate with lots of fresh water and sunlight) Sunflower Shoots and a variety of micro-greens, from our organic seed, of course. These can be found at the Seaside Farmers Market, George’s in Alys Beach, and For The Health Of It
- Sprouting jars with screen mesh lid, Wildflower Seed Pops, Biodegradable Bamboo Pots, and other gardening sundries
- On occasion, we have handcrafted hoola hoops
- Lots of garden and permaculture sharing